Monday, July 26, 2010

There is No Such Thing As A Used Book




Exerpts from an article that appeared in Epinions.com several year ago. Just like an old book, this article still has much to offer.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
There's No Such Thing As a Used Book

The Bottom Line Buy used books! The brain you save may be your own.

When you think about it, there really is no such thing as a used book. Not in the sense we as consumers think of used, anyway. Consider my whim, if you will. Most people, if given the choice, prefer new cars to used cars. Cars, however, are not books. Ever tried to read a car? You just can't do it. Cars have a rather finite lifetime, for the most part. The more that they’re driven, the more likely they are to require repairs, or to become unusable.

Books, on the other hand, are much more forgiving. Oh sure, they may become a little dog eared, and the spine may have a crease. Maybe somebody spilled a little beer on a few pages (would I do that?). But as long as a book is complete and you can read it, it’s just as good on the 42nd reading as it was on the first.

And there’s just something about the wonderful, musty, heady smell of an old paperback that really makes you feel alive. It’s really something to stop and savor, I think.

Used Books vs. New Books
So, of course you should buy used books, instead of new ones anyway. You can save a lot of money doing so, too. Used books are often easy to find on Ebay, although shipping costs mean that you usually have to buy them in lots in order to realize any significant savings.

Flea markets are a great place to buy used books. They can often be purchased very cheaply here, although you usually have to go with what you can find. If you’re looking for a particular book, your local used book store is a great place to go. They usually have a great selection, and you can even trade in “old” used books towards the purchase of “new” used books.

Used Books vs. Library Books
Which brings us to a question: should you buy used books instead of going to the library? That all depends on your reading habits. How long do you take to read a book? Can you read it before it’s due to be returned? I almost always can.

Unfortunately, I’m one of the worst people in the world when it comes to taking things back on time. I’ve pretty much stopped renting movies, because by the time I add up my late fees it’s usually cheaper just to buy the DVD outright. Same goes for library books.

But I will confess that I have a personality quirk about books. If I’ve read a book, and enjoyed it, I want to own a copy. I don’t know why. Maybe it’s because I like to loan them out to friends. Maybe it’s because it’s nice to have them to refer back to. Or maybe I think I’ll re-read them some day. Whatever the reason, I like to hang on to my books, and buying used books gives me the flexibility to do just that.

See entire article at Epinions.com

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

See our used media and books section at our CHShops.com Mall Store at: Penny's Antiques & Wedgwood Pantry

Penny and Doug
cupenny@tds.net
Penny's Antiques & Wedgwood Pantry





Quote of the Day:
In a bid to stem taxpayer losses for bad loans guaranteed by federal housing agencies Fanny Mae and Freddy Mac, Senator Bob Corker (R-Tenn) proposed that borrowers be required to make a 5% down payment in order to qualify. His proposal was rejected 57-42 on a party-line vote because, as Senator Chris Dodd (D-Conn) explained, "...passage of such a requirement would restrict home ownership to only those who can afford it." Really????

No comments: